Back in July I released the first edition of My Top 10 List of E-commerce Startups in LA. A lot has changed since July, and below is an update to my list.
Startups based on the subscription model have slipped down the list – despite the massive amounts they have raised – in favor of startups with proven business models (e.g. NastyGal). There have been several articles documenting some of the struggles of the subscription model. Most notably Brian O’Malley’s article in AllThingsD.
Notably, the below startups have raised over $350M. See the chart at the bottom of this post for additional key facts about these startups.
- Nasty Gal – Nasty Gal is a global online destination for both new and vintage clothing, shoes, and accessories.
- The Honest Company – The Honest Company is a consumer products company that delivers non-toxic, eco-friendly diapers and biodegradable wipes, organic bath/skin care and green cleaning products. Co-Founded by Jessica Alba.
- Beachmint – BeachMint is a social commerce company specializing in celebrity-curated direct-to-consumer products.
- JustFab – JustFab designs and sells its own brand of shoes, jewelry and handbags, and charges subscribers a flat $39.95 for each item.
- Shoedazzle – ShoeDazzle offers personalized shoe, handbag and accessory recommendations chosen by a team of A-list stylists, including co-founder Kim Kardashian.
- Little Black Bag – Social shopping and trading for designer handbags, jewelry, accessories, beauty and home decor
- Dollar Shave Club – The Dollar Shave Club is a service that delivers fresh razors to your doorstep, monthly, for a fraction of the cost of the grocery-store equivalent.
- Wittlebee – Wittlebee is a kids clothing club that creates custom packages for parents based on their child’s age, color preferences, geographic location and more.
- Shop-Hers – Shop-Hers is a socially-inspired, user-driven, e-commerce, marketplace where women sell and buy premium label, pre-owned clothing and accessories
- Daily Look – DailyLook sells one new fashion look every day for under $100.
Eleventh Man Award: TripleThread – Launched this week out of the Science Incubator in LA, TripleThread is a push-based commerce platform that allows retailers to offer stylist-selected, shop at home service to customers.
Twelfth Man Award: StyleHaul – StyleHaul is the largest original video content network on YouTube for fashion and beauty. Not quite e-commerce but relevant and interesting.